If you want to live in a world where kids are better educated, more physically fit, and more mentally healthy, you just may need to look no further than a good dance studio.
The last 20 years have produced research that showcases a host of benifits that range from phyiscal, emotional, and intellectual. Yes, dance does make you smarter! Here is the proof. (P.S. I want to thank my mentor, Misty Lown, for compiling the research, but just 'google' dance and test scores, and the results are staggering!)
According to the National Endowment for the Arts, students who regularly participate in dance lessons:
- Earn higher GPAs overall (and especially in math) over their nonparticipating peers
- Are more likely to complete calculus
- Enjoy higher test scores on SATs and particularly in science and writing
- Perform better in math and science competitions
- Enroll in 4-year colleges, earn mostly As in college and complete bachelor degrees
Additional research from the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies show that “Arts participation and SAT scores co-vary—that is, they tend to increase linearly: the more arts classes, the higher the scores.”
Dance improves physical fitness
The National Dance Education Organization reports that regular dance classes:
- Involve a greater range of motion, coordination, strength and endurance than most other physical activities.
- Increase a child’s flexibility, range of motion, physical strength and stamina and improve posture, balance, coordination and overall cardiovascular health.
Dance improves social and mental well-being
Dance also offers a host of social and emotional benefits, especially helpful in adolescent years:
- According to a study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience, dance significantly changes serotonin and dopamine levels (feel-good hormones), improving depression, anxiety and mood while reducing interpersonal sensitivity, relieving tension and improving self-esteem.
- Dance also fosters social encounters, interaction, cooperation and communication.
These benefits show us that dance changes our kids lives! When our kids grow up, the real benifit comes.... they will be the ones who innovate, change, and lead... they just might change the world!